CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 2, 2009

2 Month Doctor Appointment

Macie had her two month check-up today. Macie weighs 11 lbs. 12 oz. and is 23 inches long. She weighs more than I thought she would but I have noticed those little legs becoming chubby (she is in the 75 percentile for weight and height). The doctor asked me if I thought Macie looked yellow and I begin to panic. In that split second, I thought, "I am a bad mother because I haven't noticed yellow skin which means jaundice." Then the doctor looked at me and said, "Oh, I see where she gets her skin coloring from. She is fine." We have a healthy baby girl.

I have heard many mothers say that if they could take the pain away from their child or take their place in a bad situation, a mother would do it in a heartbeat with no second thought. That was me today. Those shots are absolutely horrible. The nurse told me to comfort her and know that Macie wouldn't associate this pain with me. I didn't know Macie could cry that loud or in that high of a pitch. As I was comforting her with my face touching hers and telling her I loved her, I teared up too and told myself not to cry my eyes out or this nurse would think I was crazy. That was only with the first leg. Then she had to get another shot in her other leg. The crying finally stopped a couple of minutes later. Once she was in her carseat and snapped in, she was fast asleep. I was so relieved to see her looking so peaceful again. To think, we have to do this again in 2 months.

Macie on her way to her doctor's appointment...not knowing what was in store.

I thought this was the cutest thing ever. Macie was loving looking at her reflection in the mirror. She kept moving her hand in front of her face and then hitting the mirror. She was having so much fun.

Oh, on a funny note...the doctor asked me if I had any concerns. I said that I wasn't sure if Macie was making good enough eye contact and said that she doesn't always look at me when I talk to her. The doctor started on the left side which was the way Macie was facing and then talked to her as she moved toward the right side. Macie followed her completely over there. She did this several times. I think the doctor thought I was silly for asking but she didn't say that. She must realize I am a new mother.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Don't be afraid to be assertive about how you want the shots done. Our ped generally does both legs at the same time--two nurses. If they're doing three shots, they do the first two together (opposite legs) and then IMMEDIATELY do the third one. Generally, by the time they realize what's happened, it's over. No sense in making them hysterical twice or more. :-) With my first, I used to have them do the shots with her sitting in my lap. They've gotten where they won't do that anymore--not sure why. Sounds like you're doing just fine and getting the hang of the mama thing. :-) Hope she sleeps well tonight--a pre-emptive Tylenol strike is never a bad idea after shots!

Anonymous said...

okay pretty cute! glad her first shots went well. good to have that first round out of the way!